Project Review & Remediation Service
Sometimes good SAP projects go bad. Basically you have two choices: you can act like an ostrich or take control.
Our Project Review & Remediation Service helps organisations identify and correct conflicts between business need and IT solutions and other common problems such as inadequate solution architecture.
The De Villiers Walton Project Review & Remediation Service will:
- Determine if the project scope meets your business requirements
- Examine the project plans
- Validate that appropriate timelines have been set
- Confirm that appropriate resources and budgets have been allocated
- Check for appropriate stakeholder and management support
- Determine if the overall project, solution and technical design is appropriate
We execute the review by combining a variety of our strategic, solution specific and core services from our portfolio, which are performed as needed following an initial assessment workshop with key stakeholders.
Overview of the Project Review & Remediation Service methodology
Following the assessment, our experts will then execute one or a combination of the following types of services:
Quality and risk assessment in planning phases:
- Review of project blueprint to ensure it clearly and unambiguously articulates the required design and matches the business requirements
- Ensuring that the correct review procedures and quality gates are in place
Quality and risk assessment in building or running phases:
- Validation that what has been delivered matches the blueprint
- Quality check on codes and configuration
- Confirmation of adherence to best practices where most appropriate
- Identifying the risk exposure due to non-compliance with project governance
IT strategy services:
- Review of IT strategy against current and future business needs for scalability and robustness
Standard solution assessment services:
- Determining that the solution delivers to the specification
- Qualifying the necessity for custom objects, if standard objects would have met requirements and been easier to maintain
- Identifying areas for reduction in complexity and scope superfluous to business needs
- Verifying if SAP standards have been utilised to the fullest, and if not, determining that there is specific enough information to justify and support the new solution going forward
- Identify areas of application performance improvement.
Extended solution assessment services:
- More detailed focus on generating understanding of why a solution has been designed in a specific way to ensure that it has incorporated all customer requirements. Comprising of:
- Application Design Assessment
- Application Suitability Assessment
As this is an independent review service, De Villiers Walton can also advise on the maturity and robustness of functionality being implemented and indicate where business requirements could be better met by other approaches or solutions.
The review can be further customised according to the current phase of your project. For example, in the planning phase we will focus on the scope, timelines and budgets, while in the build phase we can place more emphasis on the solution design.
As the final deliverable of the review, clients will receive our expert findings in the form of a Key Findings Document and Recommendations Report which will contain the recommended actions for managing risks and improving the project and solution.
Case 1 – Global Consumer Goods Company # 1
This global Consumer Goods Company had invested £15m and 3 years on a custom SAP CRM & SAP ERP solution that was rejected by the business having repeatedly failed user acceptance testing. De Villiers Walton restarted the project, redesigned and rebuilt the solution from scratch and successfully delivered to the business for £1.5m within 9 months.
Case 2 – Global High-Tech Manufacturing Company
A global implementation of SAP CRM being implemented by a tier 1 SI had stalled after burning through $10m of project budget. De Villiers Walton was engaged to get the project back on track and delivered within a 9 month timeframe. We successfully turned the project around and delivered the solution into the first region on-time, on-budget at a cost of less than $1m.
Case 3 – Global Consumer Goods Company # 2
We defined and implemented a BI strategy for another Global Consumer Goods Company where we were able to re-architect their SAP BW solution, leading to a 60% reduction in support and maintenance costs. In addition to being able to perform full data loads 3 times a day (and up to 12 times a day, based on specific use cases), report performance and accuracy increased and there has been a significant user uptake and improvement in satisfaction levels. To complete the re-architecture, we extended the usage of SAP BI through the introduction of a flexible modelling and reporting platform and the introduction of a number of strategic tools including Microsoft Azure, Alteryx and Tableau.
Case 4 – Global Financial Services Company
De Villiers Walton was engaged to provide an external, uncontaminated view of this Global Financial Services Company's implementation of SAP CRM. The review, deliverables and subsequent presentation of findings to Programme Management focused on the Leads Management, Queries & Complaints areas of the implementation and considered:
- Project size, timeline and complexity
- Configuration of the solution
- The necessity for custom code
- Opportunities to reduce solution complexity
- Whether SAP standards and best-practice had been utilised to the fullest
- Options to improve application performance where bespoke developments were implemented
Over a 4 week period we identified a number of areas for possible improvement including:
- Projected savings of over $10m
- A reduction in project team size, timeline and complexity
- Simplification of the solution architecture by removing unnecessary components from the landscape and by maximizing the use of standard master data, standard transactional data and standard configuration options
- Simplification of the solution design by removing unnecessary bespoke developments
If our Project Review & Remediation Service is of interest to you, please complete the short form below.